Thursday, February 23, 2012

Easy Granola Recipe

I made granola on Monday from my friend Lorraine's recipe.  I tweaked it a bit.. so here it is...
Mix it with some low-fat Danon vanilla yogurt, sliced strawberries and berries and BOOM - easy healthy breakfast as evidenced by my hubs:


Ingredients:
4 cups oatmeal
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup honey or maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract3/4 cups unshelled sunflower seeds (raw or cooked)
1/3 cup sesame seeds (I used toasted)
½ cup sliced almonds

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place oatmeal in large bowl.  In medium saucepan, heat oil, brown sugar, and add honey over medium heat, until thin, about 5 min.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla and salt.  Pour over oatmeal, add sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and almonds and toss to combine.  Spread evenly on 2 baking sheets and bake 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes.  If you want it a bit toastier, cook it a few minutes longer.  I did one at 15 and one at 20... and I kind of like the 20 better.  Makes 6 cups.


Warning:  Due to the content of nuts in your granola, eating it in large quantities (think larger than a handful) is very high in protein but calories as well.

No comments: