Friday, January 13, 2012

New Goal Making!

Everyone makes new year's resolutions.  So much so that my membership advisor at Equinox (aka my fancy gym) said there are no discounts in January because no promotions are necessary!  What is it about the new year that pumps us eagerly eating right, working out, and trying to look and feel better?  I've never liked New Year's resolutions (because it's really just setting myself up for failure) but I'm jumping on the bandwagon ... with my own small tweak....


30 Day Goals!


For 30 days, starting January 16th, I will....

1) Stretch for 15 minutes a day - so my dream from when I was five years old was to do the splits.  That dream has never been actualized... not even when I was on the dance team and getting up at 6 AM to dance from 7-9AM every day.  Yeah.... life has a funny way of really handing it to you and I have never been able to do the splits.  I got close, but not entirely there!  Needless to say, I am even more inflexible than I was at 16 so stretching will help me be more agile so I can chase my baby, leap across to my husband in a perfect split, and just feel better!

2) Work out at a minimum of 20 minutes for 4 days a week - it's always interesting how life changes your goals.  Two years ago, I would have scoffed at that goal.  4 days a week?  Wimp!  I was consistently working out 6 days a week, sometimes 7.... with Saturdays being a double whammy.  Meaning, my Saturdays consisted of a hike, at least two work out classes (think pilates or some aerobic dance class), followed by at least 30 minutes on a treadmill or an elliptical and then some time relaxing and unwinding in the steam room and showers at my fancy gym... where the blow dryers and free shampoo make my world turn.  But the reality is... life changes and yes, it is HARD to work out when you have a baby and you're not a celebrity with a nanny to take care of your little one while you work out.  I have to selectively choose which classes I go to during the day (and pay for child care at the gym) and I am so lucky my mom gifted me the fancy gym membership for a year (that I barely can make it to... but still, it's nice when I can!).  I want to go to the gym at 6 AM everyday, take some spinning classes, shower and come home before Jordan wakes up... but let's face it... I'd rather sleep these days!  And showering?  Overrated.  Plus, there never seems to be time as his naptime = my work and blogging time.

So those are my two fitness goals for 30 days.  What are yours?  Oh wait, nobody reads my blog hahahaha oh well.. it's fun to pretend anyway.

2 comments:

Gena Hopper said...

I read this blog...when you haven't updated your other one. Never thought of doing 30 days goal, but think it's a good idea. I'm back to wanting to run 5k by easter if not sooner. I am also going to exercise with the baby; need to look up some safe and effective routines. Any recs?

sara said...

I also read this blog for the same reason as Gena. I have no comments about goal making since I'm not a goal-oriented person, but as for Gena, I have a friend from Hawaii who teaches classes on how to work out with your baby. She's based in the Bay Area (I don't know where you live now), but I know that she was working on some DVDs. Her company is called Asobi Sport, and the website is http://www.asobisport.com/asobi/ Hopefully they will have something that will help you accomplish your 30-day (or longer-term) goal!