Monday, January 16, 2012

Orange Chicken in a Crockpot with Snow Peas

I love me some orange chicken, but the breading ... is it really necessary?  I decided to find out.  And of course, use the crock pot since it was for Sunday dinner and the less involved I have to be... the bette!


Orange Chicken:
4 chicken breasts - cut into cubes, with 2 breaded in flour, 2 not breaded.


Sauce Mixture
3 T kethcup
4 T brown sugar
1 T apple cider vinegar
4-6 oz of orange concentrate (a can is about 8oz, so I did a little under half, and thawed it by putting it in  tub of warm water)
1 t salt

I used olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium, and browned the breaded chicken a bit (didn't have to be fully cooked since I was going to use the crock pot) and boiled the other 2 chicken breasts which were actually frozen.

I put the chicken in the crockpot and poured the sauce mixture over the chicken and cooked on low for 5 hours.  Next time, I'd go for 4 hours because most of the chicken was already cooked and the sauce got burnt on some pieces.

Snow Peas:
I cut off the ends of about 2 cups of snow peas (did you know you have to cut off the ends?!, it took me a few errors to realize this).

I chopped up 1/4 of a yellow onion, put some olive oil in a small saucepan and sauteed the onions for 3-5 minutes, then added the following:

3 T light soy sauce
1 t coarse pepper
2 T sesame oil

My husband made some rice and we had ourselves a delicious Sunday afternoon dinner.

Don't judge by the photo... some food that tastes good is not always the prettiest.  Nor is the laundry I later folded which is peeking out from the back.  HAHAHA!  but the chicken came out delicious!  Breaded or not, the sauce is a winner.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat... but probably add some scallions afterwards (forgot!).



No comments: