Saturday, March 5, 2011

Wow, that's absolutely FIBBERIFIC!

When I used to travel for work, I always knew to pack a bottle of Metamusil due to my irregular bowel movements that seemed to increase when I was away from home. Not having a familiar bathroom always made me nervous. When I first went away for college, the same thing happened, and my mom visited and brought along with her a big bottle of prune juice and dried prunes. Prunes were my best friend.

I thought getting married might fright my bowel movements again but I have learned to accumulate fiber through normal and snack foods since my prune college days and Metamusil newbie days. Theses days, I am fiberrific, stocking up on beans, berries, broccoli, spinach, eggplant, and avocado! Yes, these are all high fiber foods! To supplement any fiber not gained from these natural foods, I have the power of Fiber One snacks and cereal, Go Lean Kashi bars and even popcorn.

Recently, I have had a new obstacle - pregnancy hormones. They get in the way and make pooping difficult! I have had to enlist the help of Colace pills, one a day through my first and second trimester, and now, into my third trimester, I am at two pills a day and still not even entirely regular. I think that means I have to revisit my Fiber One snacks on a more regular basis ... eek!

No comments: