Sunday, December 19, 2010

Vitamix How I Love Thee

Apparently, for the last 6 months, Andy and I have not been using the Vitamix correctly! We went to Costco (where we often fill up on lunch by eating the samples) and talked to the Vitamix rep about why our machine made funny sounds. It's supposed to make that sound! And in fact, you're supposed to use the high variable speed for liquefying anything, whereas we had only used it correctly for our green spinach drink, hummus, Cafe Rio salad dressing and soup. Armed with that knowledge, I started my quest re-engaging in smoothies using my wonderful Vitamix, and anything else I need to blend (like salad dressing!)

I have made the most delicious drinks from simple items!

Orange Julius (recommended by our Vitamix dude but modified by us)
1) 1 orange peeled with white stuff (cuz it's healthier)
2) 2 cups vanilla soy milk
3) 1 cup orange concentrate
4) 2 tablespoons of honey
5) 1 teaspoon of vanilla
6) 5 frozen strawberries with stem (healthy!)

Just for Sophie (my niece and I always make smoothies with whatever is in the house, she loves helping but loves the whipped cream more!)
1) 1 mango
2) 1 orange peeled with white stuff
3) 2 slices of pineapple
4) 1 cup of frozen blueberries
5) 8 frozen strawberries with stems (protein)
6) 2 cups soymilk
7) 1 teaspoon of honey
*If you don't have frozen fruit, just use 1-1 and 1/2 cups of ice, but if you have frozen fruit, you don't need ice. We also have done it with water instead of milk, but you may have to add more fruit for flavor. You can also add a dab of whip cream for the kiddos, and when Andy isn't looking, I put 3-4 carrots which when blended with all that fruit, have no flavor!

Cafe Rio salad dressing (given to me by my sister in law, Tammy!)
1) 1 lime (roll it on the counter before squeezing it in for more juice)
2) 1 bunch of cilantro
3) 1 1/3 cup of light sour cream
4) 1 whole pack of Hidden Valley Ranch powder mix
5) 3/4 cup of light mayo
6) 4 tablespoons of green salsa verde
7) 2-3 crushed garlics
8) 1/8 teaspoon of tabasco (or more if your heart desires)

No comments: