Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sara's Chex Mix: AKA BEST chex mix recipe EVER!

I have loved this chex mix recipe from my college buddy Sara, ever since she first gave me some in college.  That's more than ten years ago!  It is absolutely delicious, not too sweet, but just enough, that you can sit there and eat an entire bag full without realizing it.  I have obtained the recipe from her so many times, lost it so many times over the years, that I'm grateful for this blog for which I can forever eternalize the recipe in all its glory!!

First, I gathered the ingredients.  I used about 3/4 box of corn chex mix (generic Wal Mart brand), one full box of the toasted rice chex mix (also generic), one box of honey comb (okay, I lie.. I used a bit more than a box cuz I absolutely LOVE honey comb!), and about a half bag of pretzel sticks.  I mixed it straight onto a cookie sheet (no need to grease as the sugar mix will have butter in it)

Next, I melted in a glass pyrex for about 1 minute 30 seconds: 1 stick of butter (or 1/2 cup), 1/2 cup of light Karo syrup, 3 T white sugar, and 2 drops of vanilla extract.  

 Mix it up with a chopstick or something like that..
 Now comes the hard part... mix it carefully bit by bit onto your chex mix and then mix and mix and mix.
 This is pre-sauce but you get the idea
Mmm, I just love the honey comb.

Cook it in the oven for about 1 hour at 250 degrees, mixing it every 15 minutes.  Let it cool before you package it up.  I filled about 12 sandwich sized ziploc bags (FULL).  Yum!!!

No comments: