Sunday, April 24, 2011

Love Me Some Paula Deen Carrot Cake!

I made some slight "healthier" substitutes.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix in a big bowl:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flower
2 t ground cinnamon
2 t baking soda
1 t salt

Now mix the following in:
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs

Finally, add this to the mix and mix some more:
3 cups grated carrot

Pour into three 9" cake pans and bake for about 40 minutes each.

Meanwhile, work on the healthier frosting (not by much but every lil bit counts!)
2 8oz light cream cheese packages
1 stick of salted butter at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 t vanilla
Beat until fluffy

Okay... so I guess the only healthy substitute I had was the cream cheese, but it's got carrots and I think next time I will try using 2 eggs and 2 egg whites, maybe less oil.... see where it goes? All I know is - it was delicious and no butter in the actual cake - just the frosting so that's a good sign! Could probably substitute the butter in the frosting with something lighter!

No comments: