Friday, November 19, 2010

We're a Fruitful Family

Growing up, we always had fruit around. It was like our rice. I ate fruit for breakfast, as a snack when I came home at 3 and after dinner. You could guarantee at least 4 types of fruit in our household at any given time.

My brother and I both realized how spoiled we had been growing up when we went off on our own. I still had enough cash flow to buy myself apples, strawberries, oranges, blackberries and berries, but stayed away from the melons, cantaloupes, papayas, and pineapple because of all the cutting it required. My brother, even worse off in New York, demoted himself to only apples and bananas. When I visited him as a result of many free flight tickets from work trips, I would often splurge and we'd buy fresh cut fruit from Whole Foods (hoity toity!). Oh the joy!

Even to this day, I cannot eat grapes with seeds. Why, you ask? Because mum always cut them in half, removed the seeds and served it to us that way. Spoiled? Just very cared for I think....

I have since learned how to cut my own watermelon, pineapple and cantaloupe (I don't like the green kind... whatever it's called) but I'm quite sure my brother is still quite deprived of the daily nutrients we received growing up as he treasures the days he's home for the holidays where he can find cut watermelon, strawberries (with condensed milk... mmmmmm), pineapple and berries on any given day (so long as they're in season).

It's good to be full of fruit. It's like getting your dessert and your snack all at once. Ode to fruit. How I love thee.

No comments: